Sunday, November 4, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas

Mmmm
Love having a freezer full of food so that I don't have to cook every night (or can have something quick for lunch besides a grilled cheese sandwich).
I really enjoy these enchiladas because they are super plain the way I like them, but still healthy and filling.
I usually make them up in batches of about 50 and freeze them in Ziploc bags and store them in the freezer.  They'll keep for months, but 50 usually only lasts about 3 months around here

Ingredients (can be changed depending how many enchiladas you want to make)
10 lbs of chicken
50 8 or 10 inch flour tortillas
3 lbs of Colby jack shredded cheese

Steps
  1. Cook the chicken - I boil it in a big pot for 30 minutes and then check it with my meat thermometer to make sure it has gotten to 180*
  2. Let the chicken cool
  3. Chop the chicken.  I use a food processor, but if you don't have one, you can cut it by hand, it just takes longer and your chicken bites will be bigger
  4. Get your assembly line ready!  Line up all of your ingredients.
  5. Put a handful of chicken and a handful of cheese in the middle of a tortilla. 
  6. Fold the edges of the tortilla into the middle, then fold in the ends (or close your tortilla however you want to)
  7. Place in a Ziploc bag and smooth out as much air as possible.  Place in the freezer
  8. Repeat until you run out of ingredients.
Thursday night we made 59 enchiladas, with a little more than 3 lbs of cheese.

When you want to eat one, head them up in the microwave for about 2-2:30 minutes.  In my microwave 2 1/2 minutes on 70% power works perfect.  You want to cook them so the chicken gets heated all the way through, but you don't want the tortilla to turn crunchy or the cheese to burn.

I know I know, I should have taken more pictures.  However, it's hard to take pictures when your hands are full of chicken and cheese!

So here's a picture of the finished product.  Maybe next time I make them, I'll remember to take pictures of all the steps. 




    1 comment:

    1. Yummy!! Thanks for sharing this with me!

      Hope you have a great evening!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...