Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cookie Monster - Ginger snaps

Happy week after Christmas.  I couldn't quite give up the Christmas cookies yet, but I wanted to share with you a little more well rounded cookie that can be used more often.
In keeping with my Christmas theme, this recipe is also an old one from a pseudo family member.  My cousin's other grandma, whom I affectionately call Ma Betty made these ginger cookies once and brought them to a holiday get together, so I made them to share with M's dad's family this year.
Pretty simple recipe.  Just make sure that the dough is well chilled.
Happy Baking!

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups shortening (I used Crisco)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup molasses
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tablespoon plus one teaspoon ginger
  • 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon cloves





Directions
Cream shortening, sugar, and molasses till fluffy

Add dry ingredients
Mix well.
Shape into 2 thick rolls, wrap in waxed paper.  Refrigerate several hours or overnight until very firm


Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Slice in 1/4 inch slices.


Bake on a lightly greased sheet (or parchment paper or silicone baking mat) for 12-15 minutes.
Ma Betty sprinkled sugar on the top before baking and I do as well. - Yum!


I have one more cookie recipe to share with you at the end of the year, then I think the cookie monster series may rest for awhile.  I know so many people who do healthy new years resolutions, so I'm going to work on sharing some other cooking and/or bread baking recipes instead of cookies for awhile.  Or at least the month of January.  I love cookies and they are what I make best :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...