Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bike Bag

September, really?  Where has the time gone!  I can't believe that I'm back to work and students are back to school also.
I finished this project almost a month ago, but I haven't had time to write up the post.  Whoops!  But this one is worth the wait, I promise!  It's and idea I saw from SewMamaSew and it's another one of my Project 14 project complete :)  And I'm putting this one to good use while riding around town (the perks of small town living!)  I love riding my bike to the grocery store or to the library, now I have a nice little pouch to put my wallet and keys in when I go for a ride - perfect!
The three days before I started work again in mid-August I went camping with my husband's family.  We go near Lanesboro and do a lot of biking on the Root River trail.  It was so nice to have this pouch to tuck a snack into (or money for ice cream) and my camera.  I also got lots of compliments on it.  I hope you enjoy it!


What you need:

  • 2 - 10x7 inch rectangles for the outside of your pouch
  • 2 - 10x7.5 inch rectangles for the inside of your pouch
  • 2 - 10x7 inch rectangles of batting (I used Pellon, but I would suggest using something a little less stiff)
  • 2 - 4x9 inch rectangles for the straps
  • 2 - 3 inch long  strips of velcro (mine was 3/4inch, sew on velcro)
  • 1 - 6.5 inch strip of velcro for bag closure
  • Thread
  • Pins
  • Sewing Machine :)

This is actually a very simple project to make.  You can use one fabric for the liner if you'd like or use the same fabric both inside and outside (that's what I did).  All seam allowances are 1/2 inch (nice and big :)

What you do:
After you have cut out your fabric, you will need to baste your batting to the two outside pieces.  Put the batting on the bottom and the fabric right side up and baste around all four edges using 1/4 inch seam allowance. Do this for both outside pieces of fabric.
Now put the right sides together and using a regular straight stitch and your 1/2 inch seam allowance, sew along the two short sides and the one long bottom side.  
Next, you  need to make the corners on the bottom of your bag.  Pinch the side seam and the bottom seam together and sew a seam 1/2 inch from the point and then clip the corners. Do this for both of the bottom edges.

Take your inside fabric and place right sides together and sew along the two short sides and the long bottom side.
Pinch and sew the corners for the inside of your bag.
Now you are going to put your inside and outsides together.  Place the right sides together for both the inside and outside of your bag, pin together.  Sew along the top edge, leaving a three inch opening for turning.
Turn your bag right side out.  Your inside fabric was a little longer, so you should have a little boarder of the inside fabric along the top edge of your bag.  (Sorry, no picture of this one since I used the same fabric for both!)  Sew your the opening that you turned your bag through closed. 
Center your velcro each side of your opening.  Pin it in place and then sew it in place.
Now you need to make your straps.  Fold them in half, with the right sides facing in.  Sew along one short side and the long side, using 1/4 seam allowance.  Turn through the open short side.  Turn the open edge in on the bottom and stitch close.   
Find the middle of your strips.  Place one strip of velcro on each side of center.  Sew the velcro into place on opposite sides of your straps (so when you wrap them around the handle bars of your bike they will meet)
Finally, pin the straps about 1.5 inches from the sides of your bag (and about 1 inch from the top) and sew the strap in place. I made a small box with an x in the middle to reinforce the strap and make sure it stays in place. 
And you are done!  Enjoy your new bike bag!


I was featured at katherines corner
Linking up:
Wednesday
Create and ShareSugar and SpiceWhat I Whipped UpWhatever Goes WednesdayShow me what ya GotLil LunaWow me Wesdnesday{Wow Me} WednesdayCast PartyYour Whims WednesdayFluster's Creative MusterWednesday WhatsitShow and ShareDream to Reality, Wow Us Wednesday, Super Linky PartyWhat We Wore, Read, and Made, Whatcha Work-Up, A Little Bird Told Me, And Sew We Craft TogetherWe did it!, We Made that!, Two Girls and a Party
Thursday
Catch a GlimpseCreative JuiceChic and CraftyThursday Favorite Things, Live Laugh LinkyCreative PrincessShare your Cup, , Linky PartyLink it UpMade you Look, Inspiration in ProgressBlog StalkingWildly OriginalShowcase your TalentSomewhat SimpleKeep Calm and Link UpFive Little ChefsCommercial BreakLamberts Lately
Friday
Show and Tell FridayFriday FavoritesSimply CreateLovely Crafty WeekendEBKTSWeekend WanderWeekend Show OffWeekend Bloggy ReadingFlaunt it Friday504 MainFriday FavsFancy This Friday, Flash Blog Friday, Finished FridayFreedom FridayShow off Friday, Happy HourKeep Calm and Link Up, Weekend Wonders, I'm loving it, Fiday FavsPity Party, Dare to Share, F Friday, Craftionary Link Party, Do Something Crafty, Get CraftyShine on Friday!
Weekend
Weekend Wrap UpSay G'daySaturday SpotlightStrut Your StuffCheck me Out Show and TellSaturday Spotlight,  Your Great IdeaSimply Sweet SaturdayShare it SaturdaySaturday Show and TellCraft Create Inspire,  Sunday ShowcaseThink PinkNifty Thrifty SundayNot Baaad SundayThat DIY Party,  Overflowing with Creativity PartyA Bouquet of TalentWeekend Creative

Monday

12 comments:

  1. Love it and adding to my list of projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I need to make one of these for my bike. Thanks for sharing.

    Rachelle S.
    www.stitchesbyrachelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute!Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. I could not see a Liebster award posted on your site. If you are interested in accepting the award click on the link and follow the directions.
    http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com/2013/09/yesterday-was-not-stellar-day-at-work.html


















    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute and useful bag Danielle! Great work.
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIYers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I can see why you got so many compliments. Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. love!!! I featured you at Katherines Corner today , thank you for sharing at the hop last week xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great tutorial! I'm sure that would come in handy for many bikers.

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you own a retail store, then your windows make a good first impression to your customers in your store plays an important role. People are attracted to good performance. Interesting idea of ​​sharing performance.Card holders

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...