Monday, February 10, 2014

Olympic Cookies

I love love LOVE the Olympics!  I am so excited to be watching them for the next few weeks.  One of the things I on my bucket list has always been to see the Olympics live.  I tried very hard to get tickets to the London Olympics because that would have crossed two items off my bucket list in one go, but it didn't happen as all the tickets sold out, even via the lottery system.
Every two years, when the Olympics are on, I glue myself to the TV, watching way more than I should, to catch every second of Olympic Glory that I can.  And this year has been no different.
To kick of the Olympics, I was planning to watch the opening ceremonies with some friends.  I love the pageantry and history showcased in the opening ceremonies - this history/geography girl is in her element :)
I made these cookies to have as a treat during the opening ceremonies, and while my friends weren't able to make it, my husband and I sure have been enjoying them!

Olympic Cookies
Recipe adapted from LoveToBeInTheKitchen

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Frosting
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons butter (softened)
  • 3 Tablespoons milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • M&Ms


Directions:
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add in the egg, milk and vanilla and mix well.  Slowly add in the baking powder, salt, and flour.  Mix until well combined and you have a big clump of dough.  Divide the dough in half, flatten into rectangles, and wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for at least two hours (or overnight).
Roll out dough on floured work surface. (I thought this dough was a bit beastly to roll out, because it was SO stiff!  I found it helped to let the dough warm up for a few minutes before trying to roll it out.  It also helped to work it in my hands some to make it more pliable.)  Roll to 1/4 in thick and then cut with a round cookie cutter.  Place cookies 1 inch apart on silicone baking mat on cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degree for 7-9 minutes until the bottoms of the cookies are just slightly brown.  Let cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to cooling rack to finish cooling.
Once cookies are cooled completing, frost using a knife.   (Side note - I really LOVE this frosting!  It's the perfect combination and doesn't taste just like powdered sugar!) Place the M&Ms on the cookies (with the Ms facing down), to form the Olympic rings.  On the top row, place a blue, brown and red M&M and on the bottom a yellow and green.

Enjoy!  What's your favorite Olympic event?

<--- Click on the magic button for nutrition info and a printer friendly version!


Linking up at These Great Parties 











6 comments:

  1. So cute and so simple! I must make these with my students and toddler! Stopping by from Hoyby Crafts courtesy of the Craft-o-Maniac link party! Newest follower!
    http://hoybycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm off to make these cookies:) Thanks for sharing!

    The Quiet Mom @ Pastrami French Dip with Bell Peppers and Caramelized Onion (http://thequietmom.com/blog/recipe/pastrami-french-dip-bell-peppers-and-caramelized-onion)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable!! What a simple but creative idea! :)
    -Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danielle,
    What a great idea, I love your Olympic Cookies! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! What a great idea. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a Dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing them with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...