Monday, February 17, 2014

Polka Dot Cookie Bars

Hello!  Welcome back to PeanutLifeAdventures.  Remember last month when I shared these M&M Cookie bars?  If you liked those, you should love today's sweet treat.  It came, from all places, from a magazine clipping from my mother-in-law.  My mother-in-law is an extremely healthy person.  She eats very healthy, balanced meals, and I hardly ever see her take a bite of dessert.  When she gave me this recipe, I was pretty surprised, but she knows her son/my husband loves his treats and knows that I like to bake for him.  These polka dot cookie bars certainly earned my husband's approval!
Again, I love the easy and simplicity of cookie bars.  I like that they just bake in one pan, and no rolling out dough, and a lot less cleanup.  Win in my book, especially when I am pressed for time, but still want to have a treat to enjoy for the week.
Polka Dot Cookie Bars
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup baking cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips (divided)

Directions:
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a regular bowl if you don't have a stand mixer), cream the butter and sugars together until smooth.  Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat well.  Slowly add in the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.  Fold in 1 cup of white chocolate chips.  Spread in a well greased 15x10x1 inch pan.  Sprinkle the remaining white chips over the top of the batter.
Bake at 375 degrees for 18-23 minutes.  
If you don't have a 15x10 pan, you can use a 9x13 pan to make the cookies instead.  They will be thicker and will need longer to cook (closer to 30-40 minutes).  Test with toothpick near the center, if it comes out clean, then they are ready (be sure to do this step with cookie bars - it's important so you don't have doughy/soggy cookie bars in the middle!)
Let the cookie bars cool in the pan before cutting.
Enjoy!

 <-- Click for nutritional info and a printer friendly version

Linking up at some of these great parties!

10 comments:

  1. These look so yummy. I love the name of the cookie bars too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a wonderful polka dot treat! Thank you for joining the fun ans sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never too much chocolate...right?? Thanks for sharing on the Thursday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son would gobble these up in a minute - Hopped over from Katherine's Corner to read more. Happy Thankful Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cookie bars too! So much easier than scooping cookies for an hour or more! These sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Polka dots are always fun! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cookie bars!! Would love for you to come over and share at The Happiness is Homemade Link Party http://mommyondemand.com/happiness-homemade-link-party-8/

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kind of dessert! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm. There goes my resolution to eat heathier in March! Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...